August 20, 2026

Ombre Mountains Throw Quilt in Botanicals!

This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for your support!


Today I'm sharing an Ombre Mountains Throw size quilt in vibrant Botanical fabrics.  It turned out so pretty!  Colors range from teal to purples to pinks, and orange.  This quilt pattern includes 6 sizes, and the large pieces are quick and easy to assemble.

The Ombre Mountains quilt pattern is available in the Busy Hands Quilts shop.





Those Vivid Colors!


The fabrics in this quilt are from the Botanical collection by Boundless Fabrics from a number of years ago.  The design is exotic floral blenders in a number of jewel and gemstone colors.  Soothing teals and blues, plush purples, vibrant pinks and reds, and opulent oranges.

I've had yardage of 16 prints from this collection in my stash for quite awhile and had an epiphany one day that they are perfect for Ombre Mountains!  So I cut all of the prints up into 1/2-yard cuts and used one of the bundles to create this quilt, and curated quilt kits from the rest of the bundles.  You'll find quilt kits in my shop right here.

The backing and binding on the quilt are also from the Botanicals fabric collection, in colors not found in the quilt top, and they blend in perfectly.






Ombre Mountains Quilt Pattern Features


This pattern includes 6 sizes - Baby, Lap, Throw, Twin, Queen, and King.  I've got you covered for all of the math for these six quilt sizes.  The block sizes and the number of blocks vary in each quilt size in order to end up with actual quilt sizes.

Ombre Mountains is great way to get some HST practice under your belt.  The pattern includes a table that outlines the different combinations of fabrics used in the HSTs, and the clear instructions help you keep all of the fabrics straight.  





The Ombre Mountains quilt pattern is available in the Busy Hands Quilts shop.




Big Pieces, Easy Piecing


The large pieces make for a fairly quick quilt.  I cut my fabrics with the Accuquilt Go! fabric cutter and took the project to the monthly church quilting group I attend.  I like to take simple piecing to work on because with all of the visiting, I tend to make mistakes in my sewing or fabric placement.  I would have completed the quilt top that day, but I didn't have enough triangles cut in one of the fabrics.  

Note, this pattern does not include instructions on cutting with an Accuquilt fabric cutter.  You would need to figure out using the cutter with this pattern on your own.

With only one block to make, piecing is simple.  When piecing the rows, I press seams toward the HSts in every other row, alternating with pressing seams away from the HSTs in every other row.  This way, when the rows are joined together, the seams nest and the pieces meet crisply.  I didn't use pins at all in assembling this quilt top, but I know that sounds awful for some of you, so pin away if you need to!




Longarm Machine Quilting


To use the least yardage as backing for this Throw size quilt, I placed the backing selvedges along the rails with the quilt top sideways.  With the quilt top turned like this, it can make some longarm designs not feasible.  

I found a design called Tuft Vines at Sew Shabby Pantos, and it ended up perfect for the prints on the fabrics and the design of the quilt.  Then thread choice becomes a quandry with a quilt with this many colors, and quilting from top to bottom of the quilt top meant that I could not change colors as the colors change down the quilt top.  I chose Superior Omni Light Mulberry 3115.  It blends in with all of the colors really well.

Quilted on my Handi Quilter Amara with ProStitcher.






The Ombre Mountains quilt pattern is available in the Busy Hands Quilts shop.



Get a Free Quilt Pattern!

Get a free pattern when you sign up to receive the latest info on what's happening in my studio, new quilt patterns, subscriber-only sales and Giveaways, quilty window shopping, and other fun news!

Click here to sign up!


No comments :